What are IP Alarm Servers?
IP Alarm Servers or IP monitoring systems are stand-alone TCP/IP network based units that can be assigned a single IP address, can be directly connected to a network switch and thus independently monitor entire systems without the need for any additional software or hardware. Having their own assigned IP address on a network, the web based user interface of the IP Alarm Server can be accessed by any browser such as IE or Chrome. This allows for easy setup and configuration from any computer.
These IP based systems or Alarm Servers allow a very wide range of sensors, or probes to be attached the the RJ-45 sensor ports which allows these independent systems to monitor a multitude of environments and conditions in real time such as temperatures, humidity, water, smoke, airflow and many others.
The list of sensors can also include security monitoring such as motion and vibration detection, door and window sensors, siren & strobe lights, power monitoring sensors and again many others.
The IP base Alarm Servers can monitor all these systems and more mentioned above, but very importantly is what they can also do with this data or information being collected by the sensors. This is where the sensor threshold levels and alerting features of these systems come into play. Not only the sensor data can be collected over time for reports and trends, but being able to setup alert notifications is crucial in being proactive to prevent major disasters or equipment failures.
This is especially critical in data centers where for example a server rack or cabinet’s temperature rises into a warning level due to a problem with the room’s air conditioning unit. This early warning can be automatically sent out to the system administrator who can immediately take appropriate action before the temperature reaches the critical levels and the server machines fail.
These IP Alarm Servers are fully SNMP compliant which allows them to be easily integrated into other Network Management Systems, or NMS’s within the company’s infrastructure.
Why are IP Alarm Servers Needed?
We touched briefly on this question above mentioning a proactive approach to maintaining the stability of infrastructure’s and also about data collection. We can take this much further in regards to why IP Alarm Servers are needed. Statistics have always shown that being proactive using preventive maintenance programs and real time data recorded over time leads to less costly failures of critical equipment and that the functionality of a company heavily relies upon this. In other words the failure of these crucial systems or equipment will lead to catastrophic loss of revenue and can even severely damage the reputation of a company.
This is especially true in today’s world where social media plays a huge factor in a company’s customer service and reputation which can be targeted. These real time positive and negative online media posts can have an immediate and more importantly a lasting impact on a company’s business. Now that we covered being proactive, let’s go back to the why you would need an IP Alarm System question.
The most important aspect of why you would need a system in place like this is simply the ability to have real time LIVE access to all of your critical systems that are key to your company’s ability to remain in operation. Consider these systems a lifeline that can independently and reliably monitor your entire business critical infrastructure, but also alert you to potential problems before catastrophic failures occur.
Another reason would be labor costs. IT support and engineering costs have become extremely expensive as far as paying an engineer to be on site full time, or even more expensive to travel to remote sites to perform maintenance tasks or to fix urgent problems.
With the IP Alarm Systems in place the engineers can not only be proactive in gathering reports on the systems performance but also environmental conditions. This allows for replacing aging equipment that will eventually fail, reducing costs by eliminating systems that are using too much power or even tracking remote sites that might have problems with heating or cooling which could cause costly infrastructure failures.
The core mission statement of GROUP-Didactum® Didactum Security GmbH represents the support of our customers in the planning and implementation of proactive, highly critical data communications and security systems that play a key role in our customer’s success.
Our Core Mission:
- Our core competencies of Didactum® are focused on providing highly reliable and cost effective network monitoring solutions, environmental protection, safety and the most current, up to date monitoring systems for business-critical infrastructures. This would include the latest technology in server rooms and data center environments.
- To further increase and enhance the security of sensitive infrastructures with the offer of the latest, most up to date Didactum® IT monitoring technology.
- Our proven product portfolio Didactum® is selected on the basis of strict criteria such as technology leadership, reliability and investment protection (ROI).
- We offer the Didactum® monitoring systems that are highly dependable and cost effective to companies and the public sector (OEA). They can then rely on an extremely effective protection system that is proactive and guards against a variety of risks.
- As an Authorized Reseller Partner of the OpenNMS Group, Didactum Security GmbH offers the entire service and range provided by the popular features included in the OpenNMS software program.
- Didactum® Security GmbH consistently focuses on using the latest technologies available which increases the availability of new and dependable products and thus greatly benefits and sustains the competitiveness of our customers.
- Didactum®’s customer listing includes many companies and public clients of all sizes. We would be happy to provide any of these well-known references upon request.